Below is a handy list of links to circuit design/analysis tips, hints, Design MasterTM files, and other circuit applications assistance. You’re also invited to post analysis questions, results, or other data that you think would be useful or interesting to our Newsletter readers and Design MasterTM users.
AGING (End-of-Life, Lifetime, MTBF)
- SPECIAL REPORT: Aging (Drift) Considerations for Electronic Components (End-Of-Life, Lifetime, MTBF, and Other Confusion Factors Designed to Torment the Design Engineer; MTBF and Lifetime Predictions; The Design MasterTM Approach to Aging; Useful Life; Designing for Longer Life; Appendix A: Accounting for Aging Effects)
- A Pretty Good Estimate for Bulk Capacitor Ripple Amps
- Be Aware Of Aging Capacitors
- Preventing Capacitor Meltdown
- Decoupling Capacitors: How Much Is Enough?
- Low-Level Connector Contact Finish (also applicable to relay and switch contacts)
DESIGN MASTERTM (Practical and easy-to-use advanced worst case analysis software)
- CONCEPTUAL DESIGN: Look At The Big Picture (Why using older parts is often better; 555 timer; 4000 series CMOS; relays)
- Preventing Output Dips In Linear Regulators
- STATISTICAL DESIGN PITFALLS: Monte Carlo Is Not Worst Case Analysis
- Having Fun with Statistics and Fantasy Football (Example of how to use probability models)
- KEEPING OUT OF TROUBLE: What Every Engineer Should Know About Statistics
- OUR VIEW: Using Statistics For Achieving High-Quality Designs
- Random Circuit Zaps? (Yet another worry for the beleaguered design engineer)
SIGHTINGS (a collection of true experiences as reported by credible sources)
- When Managers Pretend to be Engineers
- Who Do You Think You Are?
- The Case of the Defective Detectors
- The Almost Fatal Flaw
- Computer Models: Reality or Mirage? (The wrong answer can kill your company)